Welcome

th1As is befitting at the launch of any new enterprise here in India, I’m hanging a string of lemon and green chillies – a totka – on my new web site and blog. Hopefully they’ll satisfy the desire of Alakshmi, the goddess of misfortune, who is said to have a weakness for sour and pungent things, and she’ll refrain from entering the site.

As she’s described as being ‘antelope-footed’, ‘bull-toothed’ and – surely worst of all – ‘cow-repelling’, this seems no bad thing. Everyone else – benign gods and mere mortals besides – is more than welcome, and I hope to tempt you back with regular posts on life in Delhi over the coming months and years ahead!

7 Responses to Welcome

1. Phillip March 9, 2013 at 1:52 am #

Hello Tarquin

I was in India last year and while waiting a train station I popped into a bookseller to find a mystery novel to read. I asked the bookseller to recommend an Indian mystery novel and I was directed to The Case of the Missing Servant. I was hooked. I’ve since finished the other two novels in the Vish Puri, India’s Most Private Investigator series and am looking forward to the The Case of the Love Commandos. I can’t wait. You’ll always have a dedicated reader here so I wish you great speed and inspiration on book number 5! :)

In the meantime, I’m going to check out one of your non-fiction books. I haven’t decided which one yet.

All the best to you

• Tarquin Hall March 19, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

Hi Phillip – that’s incredibly good of you to let me know. And that’s brilliant that you got it from a train station vendor. I didn’t know it was available at the stations. Stations are where most books in India are sold, so vital to have that distribution! Could I trouble you to write a short review on Amazon? It’s always a huge help. But I’ll completely understand if you have neither the time nor the inclination! Thanks again and all the best.

2. Vinu May 14, 2013 at 10:19 am #

Dear Mr. Hall,

I was at my favourite booksellers, Midland, and asked them to give me a funny book, not crass, and he said take this (The case of the man who died laughing) and if you don’t like it double paisa vaapas!

I took it, started reading, was hooked, finished it, was maha impressed at this Satyajit Ray’s Feluda like character, so Indian and all that, and lo behold when I check out the author I couldn’t believe this was an Englishman! I still can’t believe a non-Indian could ‘dream Indian’, absolutely amazing! Salutes Salaam Namaste Vanakkam!

Vinu

• Tarquin Hall May 15, 2013 at 8:26 am #

Hi again Vinu – I love the Midland store. They’re incredibly supportive! Thanks so much for your kinds words!

3. Priya May 16, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

I buy books by instinct. There was a bookseller, with his stock in a Maruti Van. I looked at the book and knew I have to read it.
    Lo! This was my first meeting with Vish Puri. I just finished and absolutely love it. I just googled your name to see if there are more books and I am very very happy to know I have some more to read.
    I cannot believe an Englishman can be so accurate in the scenes, the Indian way of life, and the sentence construction…. You have a fan here:)

4. Sujata Banerjee June 3, 2013 at 9:58 am #

Dear Tarquin, as I spend my life zooming between South Germany, Berlin,Rome, Delhi and Pune, I devour books that cross my path, leaving me either glazed by boredom or breathless with delight. I share both with my friends. I dip into Bahrison´s or Dussmann regularly, and after having loved, hee-hawed and dog-eared across your first two novels in India, I found the Butter Chicken novel in Berlin. It was snowing, near midnight and I was utterly homesick. I spent the night doing above mentioned things to your novel, shared my impressions with the bookseller, bought up all the remaining copies (they have restocked) and presented one of them to a friend of mine who will be moving to Delhi next year as a senior editor of Die Zeit. I could not think of a more humane and at the same time, incisive portrayal of Delhi. Your insights on the post-partition trauma that still affects many Punjabi/Sindhi friends of mine were intensely moving. I am grateful that I can look forward to another Vish Puri instalment and to know that you have made Delhi your home. Wishing you all the best, currently from Berlin, Sujata

5. claude August 2, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

I got a theory that one really good novel comes to me every five years, and I read one non-science book per day. You just proved me wrong. You are the second author (not just writer) I found this year (first one is Indridason). I will have to update my website that lists my favorite books…
    I really enjoyed The Missing Servant and thank you so much for avoiding the temptation of making a historical novel out of it! Your publisher had the right idea offering the kindle version of the first book at a low price: it is good publicity and I will read the others.
    Please forgive the curiosity of an old woman, but why did your parents name you Tarquin? I just cannot figure it out. I am named Claude because the emperor allowed marriage between Romans and foreigners. But Tarquin?